I like to throw out some bullet points every week or so focusing on the world of basketball including NCAA, NBA, and Euroleague. This week I feel like getting a little nutty and playing “You’re the GM…what would you do?” So let’s do it.
You’re the GM
Here’s the deal…you are the (pretend) GM of an NBA team, congrats! Now answer these questions…tweet your answers, share a comment below, or comment on facebook, I’d love to see what kind of response we get.
- Q1: With all of the #Linsanity in our world, knowing what you know now, let’s go back to the 2010 NBA Draft…where would you have drafted Jeremy Lin if you had it to do all over again?
- Consider this: PG John Wall was the #1 pick, SG Xavier Henry #12, and Guards Eric Bledsoe, Avery Bradley, and Elliot Williams went 18, 19, and 22 respectively.
- Also consider that the New York Knicks have/had (remember we are pretending) the 38th and 39th picks and are eyeing Andy Rautins at 38 and Landry Fields at 39.
- Q2: What criteria are you using to evaluate players? What did you or any other GM see that prompted someone to select Avery Bradley or Elliot Williams ahead of Lin or for that matter ahead of Greivis Vasquez #28 who had just been named ACC Player of the Year and has FIBA level International experience?
Q3: If you are the Warriors, would you trade Steph Curry and Andris Biedrins for Rajon Rondo and a throw in? What about if you are the Celtics?
- Q4: You are GM of the Philadelphia 76’ers or Boston Celtics in the Eastern Conference Atlantic Division. The Knicks have just won 7 of 10 and are getting healthy, they are 3 games out of first and currently sit at 8th in the playoff race which means a first round match-up with Miami. But here’s the rub, the Atlantic Champion gets the 4 seed (or higher) and home court in the first round simply by winning the Division. The Celtics and Sixers have each lost 7 of 10 and are struggling to stay in the hunt. Do you make a trade to improve your squad for a big push or unload some older players with huge contracts and start the rebuilding process?
- Q5: Would you trade Rondo for Steve Nash straight up?
- Q6: Would you ever consider drafting Reeves Nelson, kicked off team at UCLA and in Lithuania…?
- I’m not even considering RPI, SOS, or Joe Lunardi of ESPN. Right now, which conference gets more teams in the NCAA Tournament, the Pac-12, the Mountain West, or the West Coast Conference?
- How would four MWC teams make it in (UNLV, New Mexico, San Diego State, & Colorado St.) without three WCC teams (St. Mary’s, Gonzaga, & BYU)? Remember BYU came from the MWC and has done very well in that league the past few years…they were 3rd in the WCC this year and I think they are a tournament team.
- Can the Big West get two teams in? Long Beach State and UC Santa Barbara?
- A few weeks back everyone was saying the Big East was down but now they are “getting 10 teams” in the Big Dance? What changed?
- UConn: In or Out? They are 17-12 (that’s a lot of losses), #2 Strength of Schedule, LOSING record in conference at 7-10 which places them in 10th place, and roughly #35 in the RPI.
- How about the messy story coming out of UCLA?
- Thomas Robinson (Kansas) or Anthony Davis (Kentucky) for Player of the Year? What about for #1 pick in the 2012 NBA Draft?
- Does Draymond Green of Michigan State hold the key? In other words, does he sway votes away from one or the other enough to effect the vote?
- Speaking of Green, I’ve said it here before, this guy just “gets it.” He’s a pro. He’s a better player that people realize, especially if you get caught up in physical size, athletic attributes, etc (see #Lin and Landry Fields). But don’t forget, we’re playing 5-on-5, not running the 40 and he’s really good at 5-on-5. Jared Dudley is one guy who comes to mind who I loved and who is carving out a solid career in the NBA and I feel Green is a superior player to Dudley.
- Big game tonight in the Pac-12, Oregon hosts Colorado. This is for seeding and a bye in the tournament but also a potential at-large bid (for Oregon). If the Ducks can sweep CU and Utah this week they’ll have 22 wins entering the post season tourney and a real shot. Dana Altman has done a great job resurrecting the Ducks. The last time these two played the officials played a huge hand in the game, let’s hope the players settle this one.